I’m Kristin, aka Paddlechica. I’m an avid dragon boat, outrigger, and SUP paddler, and I’ve been known to paddle other types of boats as well.
I’m a three-time member of the US IDBF National Dragon Boat Racing Team and have been fortunate enough to paddle all over the world in cool locations including Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Canada, Hungary, England, and Italy.
I’ve also raced in the Liberty Challenge outrigger canoe race, and in 2014 was lucky enough to race through the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific on a cayuco (a native Panamanian boat like an outrigger with no ama). Going through the locks of the canal was absolutely amazing!
In addition to all my awesome paddling fun, I also coach various teams. I spend as much time on the water as I can afford!
I started Paddlechica as a way to answer some of the questions that my fellow paddlers were asking me after practice. I hope you find this helpful. I welcome any comments, or contact me with suggestions and questions for future posts.
You can read a little more about me in this installment of #RadWomenDo by Christine Ekeroth
And here are some random facts about me (for some silly entertainment):
- I have a love affair with Mexican food, especially tacos and burritos
- I have ridiculously small feet, but somehow they really help me balance well
- I love traveling with absolutely no agenda – just waking up early, grabbing my camera, water bottle and some protein bars and wandering around a city exploring random areas; I’ve learned most of what I’ve needed in life from traveling
- I will eat gelato multiple times a day, especially when I’m not training
- My older brother is awesome (he designed the paddlechica logo, too!)
- I graduated from UCLA and then got my Master’s Degree from UCSB
- I read every night before I go to bed, mainly fiction
- I hope to visit Australia and New Zealand one day soon
- I never studied writing, but I love to write
- The ocean is my happy place and I consider sand between my toes the greatest gift